The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 11:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Workflow Discussions
| |-+  Multi-User Configurations
| | |-+  Small Workgroup...LOTS of photography!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Small Workgroup...LOTS of photography!!!  (Read 5549 times)
LRobbins
Lee Robbins

LeeRobbins2006
View Profile Email
« on: November 11, 2006, 10:01:33 PM »

I am a Photo Editor for a television production and distribution company.  We have used DVD's as an archiving systems with contact sheets as reference filed away in filing cabinets up until I started using Aperture about 6 months ago.  I absolutely LOVE the editing interface and support of dual monitors...it has absolutely changed my world.  I breeze through identifying and keywording talent in the photos using predefined buttons.  But, the Library has grown...FAST.  A single Production usually produces b/w 2500 - 7000 images...we shoot apprx 50 productions a year (movies and miniseries).  After six months of using Aperture my library grew to 60,000 images and Aperture is now running SLOW.  

The files sizes keep getting bigger and I just don't have the time to save files back to DVD's (it's just me doing ALL photography...no help).  So we have established a external hard-drive archiving and back up solution for each production.  Peter's book has been really helpful in adapting a workflow...although the bucket system doesn't really work because I need to set up the images in folders by each date the photographer is on set.  

It has become clear I need to implement a cataloging software.  Here are my must haves...
 - Apprx 3-5 people in my group really need to be able to view photography as I receive it from the photogrpahers on set.  I
 - It is essential that everyone in the group can clearly see my ratings and lables.
 - It would also be nice if our Publicist and Creative Director could make their own notes or comments that I could view. Portfolio doesn't seem to support star ratings or labels?!?!?
 - I would like to use a separate catalog for each production.  
 - But, sometimes I need to make selections of images from several different films.

I am thinking I would like to store the catalogs on our server so people can view them and keep the original files on my G5's external hard drives.  Is this doable?

So, my question is this...iView Media or Extensis?  

Any advise or suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!  I need to get this sorted out ASAP in the most cost-effective way...there is no established budget.

Lee

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 08:14:08 AM »

Lee,
If you are a RAW shooter, then iView would probably be the best choice.  If you shoot JPEGs (and are likely to continue to do so) then Portfolio could also work.

I think you will want to look at either Digital Railroad or PhotoShelter to provide online lightboxes for your additional users.

Peter
LRobbins
Lee Robbins

LeeRobbins2006
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »

Peter,
Thank you for feedback...
I have been testing iView Media Pro all weekend and really like it...but, can't figure out how to move my files to an offline storage.
How do I tell iView where the original files are located after they have been moved to a permanent storage location off-line?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Lee
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 06:43:31 PM »

Lee,
Right-click on the folder in the "Catalog Folders" window.

You would be a good candidate for the workflow videos...
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 09:11:50 PM »

Lee,

If I understand you correctly, I would think the best solution would be to keep your catalogs and primary archive on your server for everyone to access; and keep your secondary archive/backup on your external harddrives and kept offsite.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: