The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:57:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Amazon S3: truly offsite, multi backps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Amazon S3: truly offsite, multi backps  (Read 7080 times)
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 07:22:48 AM »

Like any good forum it's the sum of its members and is self regulating. The main task is keeping E European spammers out of the forum, so a closer analogy might be with the INS who growl at you at JFK. Anyway, didn't the American govt just chase Kofi Annan from office?

John
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 07:31:37 AM by johnbeardy » Logged
mikeseb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 07:28:24 AM »

Good analogy, John. And to spare you the aggravation of having to moderate with your red pen, I think I'm gonna keep my further opinions of the UN and Kofi to meself. Undecided

David Anderson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 08:18:51 AM »

... Anyway, didn't the American govt just chase Kofi Annan from office?

Kofi Annan remains top dog at the UN until the end of the year. I would have suggested you as his designated replacement, John, but the General Assembly has rushed ahead and appointed Ban Ki-moon. Better luck next time. The UN is in need of more Diplomatic Asset Management ...

David
David Anderson

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 10:22:22 AM »

The original poster, Steve Darden, may be pleased to hear that the 'long tail' has now reached the UK! In the Business section of today's Sunday Times there is a full page devoted to a discussion of Chris Anderson's book. Incidentally, the accompanying photograph shows that I share more than a surname with the author. Both Chris Anderson and I have heads taller than our hair  Smiley.

The day may yet dawn when I will be able to casually refer to the skinny end of the long tail over here, with or without sufficiently low friction, and not risk being carted off to the funny farm ...

David
Mike777

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 02:22:42 AM »

I was in the gym at 6.30am, had four eggs for breakfast and have written out a daily to do list.

So now Im in a good position to grasp all this. Having thought outside the box and resolved not to try and drink the ocean or stick jelly to the wall, my conclusion is that the unique selling point of the core offering is indeed a skinny tail.

I call on photographers of all nations to embrace this concept and move forward in a synergistic fashion with a resolve to let the tree bend in the wind. As my mum always says (www.mike'smum.com/what_have_I_always_told_you/) no man is an island.

Cheers
Mike
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 09:18:43 AM »

Wow!  You guys have certainly got me dangling from the skinny end of the long tail on this one.  This is too much for a Redneck like me with just a B***S*** degree to comprehend in one sitting!  My head's spinning.  I think I need a good Black-n-Tan to settle down.

Back to earth for a minute.  As personal users of the internet that we are, I would say we are getting the skinny end of the long tail when it comes to upload bandwidth speeds from our ISP's.  Until that tail fattens (via FTTP or whatever), I just don't see any DAM pratically to using offsite, multi backups.  Just burn the DVD's and keep 'em way offsite.

Dan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:34:16 PM by peterkrogh » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: