Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Using Buckets ?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2020, 12:39:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  Using Buckets ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using Buckets ?  (Read 2390 times)
dam_newbie

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:29:38 AM »

I'm somewhat new to DAM.  I've read the DAM Book (probably need to go thru certain sections again in more detail) and am about halfway thru the trial period of iView MediaPro 3.  

My question is about the reasons for using Buckets.  Is it primarily (or only) for simplifying the backup process to optical media such as DVD's?  Are there good reasons for using them if you only backup to external hard disks and use a backup utility such as SuperDuper?

thanks,
Rob
David Anderson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:22:20 PM »

Rob,
I'm about 10 minutes ahead of you in this DAM business, so I'm obviously not an expert. However, I think the first thing to say is that there is considerable merit in backing up to a simple, portable, medium such as to tape or (more economically) to DVD as well as to external hard disks. A hard disk is an inherently risky solution as your only archive medium. A hard disk will fail. It's not a matter of if, it's only a matter of when. It's irrelevant what backup software you use. As well as greater reliability, DVDs are cheap and easy to store. You should always have at least one copy of your archive held 'offsite' at all times, in a location that does not share the same fire, flood and theft risks as your primary location.

I was initially a little sceptical about buckets but now I am a total convert. It's a very neat way to make the DVD backup process simple and convenient. In my experience as an IT Manager, it's the simple processes that get done!

David
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 03:05:08 PM »

Rob, Not just backup, but, more importantly, restoration.

Even if you only used HD, I'd still use some kind of bucket - I just would make them limited by, say subject relevance/chron order, rather than limiting them by DVD size.  The sequential nature of buckets makes them a logical system that is orderly and easily restorable.

Hopefully, we aren't too far off from a world where these work-arounds are not necessary.  The issue is getting from here to there.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: