The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Aperture
| | |-+  Aperture & DNG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Aperture & DNG  (Read 17040 times)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 02:58:54 PM »

It's probably an Apple bug, but it would be some time before it's fixed since it would require a new OS release. Since DNG Converter is updated frequently because of new raw formats, it would be much faster (and more convenient all around) for Adobe to fix it. I would think they wouldn't want to make excuses for DNGs, but rather to have them "just work."

I did post this to the Aperture support inbox, but who knows whether it will get to the right people.

I said as much to my contact at Adobe.

--Marc

Randy Sailer

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 03:32:53 PM »

It also happens with .CRW files as well... (Canon Digital Rebel).

Randy

The CR2-to-DNG Conversion Bug

A couple of ImageIngester users have reported that DNGs created from CR2 files via ImageIngester (which invokes Adobe DNG Converter to do the work) don't open on Mac OS X with either Preview or Aperture.

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 03:48:25 PM »

Thanks, Randy... I imagine Adobe will fix the problem in some sort of general way.

My imagination is fairly active, however. ;-)

--Marc

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2006, 07:21:22 PM »

When I asked Thomas about this, he said that it was pretty impossible for him to know what part of Apple's code was broken, since he does not have access to the code.   Since all the DNGs were valid, he would only be guessing as to what is wrong.  And since there are lots of DNGs created with the existing DNG converters, I don't think that changing it would be the right answer.

Apple, BTW, puts out system updates all the time, especially when things like this break.

Let me ping a few people at Adobe and see if someone there can push the issue with Apple.
Peter
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 02:40:33 PM »

Shayne pointed this out to me today.  Apple has released an update to Core Image, which, among other things, improves DNG file handling.  I wonder if this fixes the problem.

Here is Shayne's blog post:
http://news.iview-multimedia.com/weblog.php

Here is the link to update your G3, G4, or G5 system:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/digitalcamerarawsupportupdate10ppc.html

Here is the link to update your Intel Mac system:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/digitalcamerarawsupportupdate10universal.html
Peter
SteveM

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 02:57:15 PM »

" I wonder if this fixes the problem."

It does not fix the problem I had. After I had noticed the prolbem I went to Apple's support site to see if there were any updates that I had not installed and I found these (one for PPC and one for Intel).

I noted the update form Apple in my orginal post in this thread, and that I had installed it (although I did not state explicitly that it had not corrected the problem).

I can state explicity that DNGs created with ImageIngester Pro do work with Preview and Apreture. Thanks Marc.

SteveM

IIP - PM - CS3 (Bridge, ACR, PS) - XM - OS X
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 03:49:02 PM »

Thanks, Steve.
I have pinged several people at Adobe. We'll see what happens.
Peter
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 04:06:07 PM »

SteveM and Peter--

Just to be precise, the DNGs are created by Adobe DNG Converter. The difference between ImageIngester and ImageIngesterPro is in the XMP sidecar it creates to sit next to the CR2 (or CRW, I'm told) when DNG Converter reads it in.

(I know you both know this, but I wanted to make sure that neither Apple nor Adobe thinks ImageIngester[Pro] is creating DNGs.)

--Marc

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 08:34:05 AM »

I just got a note from Thomas Knoll about this (or a similar Apple/DNG compatibility issue).  This byte order problem arises if a DNG is created on Intel, and Aperture tries to open it on PPC.  There can also be trouble going the other way around.

This has been reported to Apple, but no response yet.
Pete
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: