Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Migration -> Renaming Legacy Originals and Derivatives
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 06:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Migration Issues
| | |-+  Migration -> Renaming Legacy Originals and Derivatives
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Migration -> Renaming Legacy Originals and Derivatives  (Read 14123 times)
reggiebarton

Barton Creative Photography

rbartonphoto
View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 16, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »

So I do not have a HUGE library of legacy digitals yet to migrate, just a few hundred. However I have a lot with original camera names like S5CF0523.RAF and derivatives like S5CF0523.RAF.psd (my old master file). Now I want to do a "batch" rename to these images... I can sort by filename in iView and rename them but when I do the original and derivative will get different sequence numbers, and they need to match.... (filename= Reg_YYMMDD_(Camera Code)_0000_(CO or Derivitative Code).xxx)

Any ideas on a clean batch way of doing this sort of thing? Or am I going to have to do a batch on the originals and then just... hunt to match up the derivitives!

Reggie.

PS One other little kink - what about all those little .XMPs following my .RAFs around? - for the images that I used ACR2 on.... and all the other "linked up" data for the more recent jobs that I did with Capture One Pro! EEK!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 08:00:20 AM by reggiebarton » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »

Regg,
Sounds like a bit of a mess.  I think you may have to do it by hand if you need to rename original, XMP and Derivative.   Ouch.
How's the C1 rename capability.
Peter
reggiebarton

rbartonphoto
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 02:18:26 PM »

Well that wasn't the "oh here's how to handle that" sort of response!!! LOL!

Just checked out C1s renaming - In a word, poor. It allows for renaming with a text prefix and a serial counter. That's it. :-(

I'm thinking I'm going to have to throw all my legacy c1 work in a bucket on it's own and write it off as a learning experience. From here on out I'll rename prior to working in C1.

Any thoughts?

Reggie.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 07:13:31 PM »

Reggie,
I have decided not to rename images that were not named in accordance with my current practice. Most of these are scans from the pre-digital camera era, with wonderful names like BethesdaHousePlusSatSharper3.TIF

My first digital images were named for clients of subjects and I have not renamed these either. (PBS702_1234.NEF).

If, however, more than one image has the same name (IMG_1234.CR2), you will probably want to go ahead and do a rename.
Peter
reggiebarton

rbartonphoto
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 05:15:06 PM »

Im just posting this so you get a good laugh -

Six months later.... I RENAMED THEM ALL - BY HAND - EVERY - LAST - ONE!!!

I'm a glutton for punishment.

Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 03:08:49 AM »

I have just done the same. Luckily I didn't rename file in the metadata.
Import into Bridge, a folder at a time.
Rename to just the metadata file name-in my case this was changed to the last four numerical digits.
Re-import into bridge (in my case the files are still highlighted)
Re-name as per the work flow.
Voilla
Chris Bishop

sgingold

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 08:58:05 AM »

I think this thread answered my question- not happily- but answered it.

I shoot entirely in RAW, and bascially have named a folder of RAW images - say Foliage Cove, October 15, 2006, which is then backed up to multiple external HDs..  Then good images are ACR processed and opened in PSCS2 where they are renamed, backed up again and then placed in a folder for further processing.
Now that I am ready to start with iView, it would seem that there is also no other way to rename these except by hand.

Anyone want to comment?  Hopefully you could contradict my conclusion. Embarrassed
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 12:35:45 PM »

Are you trying to do something Batch Rename won't do?
Peter
sgingold

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 03:56:25 PM »

Peter,
Thanks for responding.
I'm not sure at this point what to do with Batch Rename as this is a new way of doing things for me.
I have the original RAWs in one folder and scans in another.  I have the working images in several other based on topic.  There are folders for Master Files and for Images optimized for Print.  There is another for Images optimized for the Web.  Obviously I have been pretty scattered to this point.  As well, all these are backed up multiple times on my externals.
It takes me a while to get the idea of how things work, so at this point I'm not sure how I can rename these except one folder at a time.  If you can offer a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated as I very much want to get this all under control, but am a bit overwhelmed by the learning process.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 09:01:04 PM »

I'm not sure it makes any sense to rename at all (unless the images carry the original camera names, like IMG_1234.CR2).  If there is duplication of the root file name - meaning more than one entirely different image with the same name - then it would be good to rename to avoid confusion.

But if it's just a matter of non-conforming filenames on older files, I'd probably leave them alone.  I have left my legacy files in their pre-DAM state (Bethesda_House_plusSat_minusGreen.Tiff), and just used catalog sets to organize the old stuff.

Peter
sgingold

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 02:34:32 AM »

The original RAWs all have their camera generated filenames.  But the folders are all separately renamed with the date.  All other folders have image names along the lines of your example.
I think for the time being I will follow your suggestion to leave things be and go forward with the new naming convention.

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter.
Rick McCleary

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 05:46:15 AM »

The original RAWs all have their camera generated filenames.

This is an example of where you will run into different files using the same name (due to the camera's counter rolling over every 10k images.)  These RAW files should be renamed before you catalog them. It is important to give each file a unique name; your entire cataloging system is based on this.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 06:20:25 AM »

Although I agree that non-uniquely named images should be renamed to prevent accidental overwriting, and other problems, I would say that you don't have to do this before you catalog them.  As a matter of fact, I would say that you would want to catalog them first, in order to help determine what to do with the files.

If they have sidecar files, then you should not rename with iView. If there are no sidecars, then you can rename with iView.

But the larger point stands - it's not necessarily something you have to do right now.
Peter
Rick McCleary

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 06:42:57 AM »

Thanks for the clarification, Peter.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: