The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 01:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Advice please on Final Backup Strategy details
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Advice please on Final Backup Strategy details  (Read 1533 times)
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:35:40 AM »

Hello All,

Just looking for some advice on finalizing my backup strategy.  Here is my current setup:

I have a MacBook that I am using as a Workstation and my Mac G4 tower as my server.  In it is:

-60 GB System Drive w/apps and personal docs etc.
-500 GB disk holding all Original and Derivative files, nothing else
-120 GB drive holding all Working files, and iView catalog files
-another 120 GB drive that is a backup of the working files and iView Catalog

I also have:

-500 GB FW External drive that is an exact mirror of the 500 GB internal drive.  This is the main backup for the images
-200 GB FW External that is partitioned 3 ways.  1 is a Boot backup of my Macbook, 1 is a Boot Backup of my G4 Tower, and the remaining space is a backup of my working files. (this would be the 3rd copy of my working files.)

And of course I have DVD backups of all image and derivative files.

I have a few Questions:

1) How often should I make Boot Backups?  As there is no critical info being stored there (other than personal docs, although business files would live there), can I just make weekly Boot backups?

2) Should I store personal info and docs (as well as business files) in my working files area so they get the same backup treatment?

3) I am having trouble figuring out where the external drives should live.  I really should have 1 copy of my working files offsite, but I need to have my boot backups on-site right?  Any thoughts here?  I have been told not to store working files on the same drive as my original files, so putting them on the 500GB Ext isn't an option.  Maybe a 3rd EXT Drive?

4) Seeing as 2 copies of my working files are in the same machine, I feel like I really only have 2 copies of my working files...  Does anyone see a better option given my configuration?

Thanks in advance...  I'm sure this will lead to further questions!

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Josh McCulloch Photography
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »

Josh,
1. Back up the boot drive before and a bit after each significant upgrade, or every quarter or so depending on how much you customize your programs.

2. I treat my data files (word docs, mail, etc) just like I treat my Working Image files: daily automated backups.  It's just that for me, they are on different machines.

3. Sounds like a third external would be a good option.

4. Get that external, and put working files on it when high value indicates, or where other risk (long absence from the studio, for instance) would dictate it.  It depends on your tolerance for risk...
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: