The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 09:11:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  cataloging CMYK derivatives - wacky thumbnail color
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: cataloging CMYK derivatives - wacky thumbnail color  (Read 1144 times)
Rick McCleary

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:09:55 PM »

I've started on the project of cataloging all my legacy DRV files - old stuff currently stored on several hundred CD's.  What fun!  It's a bit tedious, but a good feeling that now I'll know where they are.  The transfer to archive HD is going pretty smoothly except for the .psd files that were saved with "maximize compatablitiy" switched off.  For those, I'm having to open them in PS and re-save with compatability switched on in order for iVIew to be able to build a thumbnail.  This entire exercise is underlining once again what an elegant program iView is.

One problem - When cataloging CMYK files, the thumbnail that iView builds looks like someone spiked the oatmeal with LSD - neon colors and extreme contrast.  This is apparently due to iView's inability to handle CMYK profiles.  Anyone else with this problem?  Any solutions?

Thanks - Rick
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:40:29 AM »

Rick,
I only see that with my (really old CMYK) legacy files.  Do you see that with modern files?
Peter
Rick McCleary

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 01:04:31 PM »

Peter,

Right you are.  The problem is with old untagged CMYK files.  I'm taking this occasion to fix the problem by assigning profiles to the culprits and doing a quick adjustment to bring them into the modern world.  Once that's done, they display in iView as expected.

Thanks - Rick
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 04:15:20 PM »

I almost never embed profiles in delivered CMYK images.  As a result they all look like hell in iView.  The problem is that iView doesn't (as far as I can see) allow the user to define a default CMYK profile to use when none is present.  Whatever profile that they do use is FAR off from any of the common printing standards.  Assigning a reasonable standard profile to untagged images in iView results in a vastly improved display.  I assume that assigning a profile in iView doesn't actually put it into the file itself unless possibly you do a sync metadata move.  If that's the case, I'd love to be able to find all the untagged CMYK files  (there should be very few untagged RGB files... probably none) but I can't seem to find a way to do that.  That would sure improve the look of CMYK files in the catalog.  On the other hand, the really wacky color is an easy way to visually identify CMYK versions of images.

You can find all the files tagged with a particular profile but I can't seem to find how one could find files with no profile.  Any ideas.

Bob Smith
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: