Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
IFC - Crashes Bridge CS2 1.0.3.106
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 01:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Import From Camera
| | |-+  IFC - Crashes Bridge CS2 1.0.3.106
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IFC - Crashes Bridge CS2 1.0.3.106  (Read 9828 times)
CDRNorth

View Profile Email
« on: December 26, 2005, 07:17:12 PM »

Hello Peter,

First, thanks for the great book. It is very timely for me.

While using the IFC script [downloaded the script 12/4/05] it caused Bridge CS2 1.0.3.106 to hang on a box running XP Pro SP2.

I am doing the following:

Importing directly from the flash card using a SanDisk reader attached via USB.

Options: Flatten Directory Structure & Build Folder Caches: checked.

Rename on Import using a custom template: foo_<var mdate[YYMMDD]>_<var filename[4,9]><var extension>

Preserve Original Name in Metadata: checked [it hangs when this is checked]

Rename as Linked Set: unchecked

Apply Metadata on Import: checked with Mode: Replace and to Skip Files: thm

Destination is an external hard drive attached via USB

Save a Copy of Images to: unchecked

Further variables:

Freezes whether the card has a combination of RAW [CR2] & JPEGS or just RAW files.

Not all of the images have the entire information that was to be applied to the metadata on import.

This is an import to a folder that is created when setting the destination in IFC.

Once the import has been initiated I get a Camera Raw alert notice stating, "The updated metadata will be written to an ".xmp" sidecar file, rather than the original raw file." The status at the bottom left of the screen is Preserving Filenames:foo

And then it hangs up. I can leave it for hours... no change. I have tried it with 3 images up to 85 images.

Bridge pegs my processor to 100% [AMD Athlon 2200+]. This system has 1G of RAM.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 09:56:16 PM by peterkrogh » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 07:39:43 PM »

First,
I would not suggest using the script to bring images off the card.  I say this in the book, and I'm pretty sure I also put it in the read me that is in the script package.

Did you install all three libraries in the startupscripts folder?
If you want to troubleshoot it for your system, I suggest that you do the following:

Take a few RAW files and put them in a test folder on your main drive and try the script, saving them back to a different folder on the same drive.
Try it with the fewest functions first, like rename RAW files only.
If that works, gradually add functions until it breaks.

One thought.  When you set up the rename, does it show you an example of a properly renamed file in the "after" box?  I wonder if it is hanging because of how the metadata is written in that file.  You might also want to try a different renaming scheme if it does not work.

Upon rereading, are you saying it only hangs when you check preserve filename?
Peter
CDRNorth

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 11:49:35 PM »

Hi Peter,

I did read your caution in the book and the read me file.

The three libraries are in StartupScripts folder. It also includes ImportCamera_BR.jsx. Where does the .DS_Store files go? I currently have it in the StartupScripts folder also.

The renaming function performs flawlessly.

Everything works fine except the "Preserve Original Name in Metadata". If I leave that unchecked the script works fine. It puts in my copy write information, etc. I have tested many different combinations, changing one element at a time.

Since getting your message I have tried your suggestion about applying the script to a few files, in a test folder on a hard drive. No joy. This was done in conjuction with using a number of different renaming schemes to see if that has an impact, none. The files get imported and it hangs as soon as it starts writing to the side car. So to clarify, I put in all of my settings and click, OK to start the process. A screen comes up telling me that the metadata will be written to the sidecar and not the file. I click OK and it hangs. So yes, it hangs only when I check "Preserve Original Name in Metadata".

Of course, I can cause it to have problems if I check "Rename files as a Linked Set" without having imported images that were shot as RAW+JPEG.

If you would like, I can send you screenshots of each step?

First,
I would not suggest using the script to bring images off the card.  I say this in the book, and I'm pretty sure I also put it in the read me that is in the script package.

Did you install all three libraries in the startupscripts folder?
If you want to troubleshoot it for your system, I suggest that you do the following:

Take a few RAW files and put them in a test folder on your main drive and try the script, saving them back to a different folder on the same drive.
Try it with the fewest functions first, like rename RAW files only.
If that works, gradually add functions until it breaks.

One thought.  When you set up the rename, does it show you an example of a properly renamed file in the "after" box?  I wonder if it is hanging because of how the metadata is written in that file.  You might also want to try a different renaming scheme if it does not work.

Upon rereading, are you saying it only hangs when you check preserve filename?
Peter

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 11:54:45 PM by CDRNorth » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 09:10:34 AM »

I just tried it here, and it worked fine for me (on Mac). I can ping Bob Stucky and see if he can help troubleshoot.  Just to be clear, this is a script that Adobe puts out, not DAMuseful, and they technically do not offer any support for it.

Maybe someone else out there running IFC on Windows can check and see if they get a similar problem.

Personally, I never use the "preserve original name" because, as I write in my book, it preserves the wrong name.  I assume you are using it at this stage because you are keeping un-renamed versions of the files around for some reason.

(I would suggest that this is not particularly useful. It's better to have your backups have the same name.  Furthermore, renaming, if done to a proper naming scheme is *extremely* unlikely to mess up a file.   If I had that level of concern about file corruption, I would not consider a javascript to be a suitable way to rename.  I would do it in Bridge, or manually in the directory.  You are MUCH more likely to mess up files by simply transferring them from place to place.  Do you reconfirm file integrity of each file everytime you copy it to a new drive?)

I hate too be flip (well, hate is maybe too strong a word), but it's like the old joke:
"Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" 
"Stop doing that."
;-)

BTW, does Batch Rename in Bridge work correctly to preserve the existing filename?

Peter
CDRNorth

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 01:18:32 PM »

Hi Peter,

I only started to try and use it again because I read it may be useful. I thought I had read it in your book or in this forum. Obviously, the sleep deprivation experiments that I have been personally conducting are begining to have an adverse affect.

I will just discontinue trying to use it.

If you mean the IFC rename function, yes it works fine. If you mean Batch Rename in Bridge, I have not tried it. If I am just going to pull the images from the card to the hard drive using Explorer I will just probably test and use Bridge's or iView's functionallity. I do like the function that allows you to save a copy though.

BTW, does Batch Rename in Bridge work correctly to preserve the existing filename?

Peter
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 01:53:32 PM »

Ever since we built Preserved Filename functionality into Rank and File, I have not been using this feature in IFC.  It does keep both the new and old names in metadata (one as Preserved Filename, and one as Filename).  So it does have value, even if it does not do it perfectly. (Ideally you will want the new, permanent name to be the one identified as "Preserved Filename").

If it works for your camera and computer, and you don't own Rank and File, then it's probably worth doing.  If it causes a glitch like it's doing for you, then you probably want to just skip it.

Peter
SeanD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 11:17:55 PM »

are you saying it only hangs when you check preserve filename?

Just wanted to chime in here and let you (and anyone else who runs into this) know that I just experienced the same glitch when using this on Canon 10D raw files. Crashes Bridge 1.0.3 (mac OS 10.3.9) when Preserve Original File Name is checked....all is fine when that option is not checked. Moral of the story....don't use that option!

Thanks again for this fourm, Peter. Being able to search for this and find that someone else had the same trouble was most helpful.

--Sean
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 06:17:37 AM »

Now all we have to do is to find out why the heck the Canon files are crashing Bridge...
Peter
RayEss

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 07:34:52 AM »

Peter,
I have experienced the same problem of Bridge Crashing on CS2 when applying the IFC script (AS A TEST as recent as this morning); I was importing from my Nikon Coolwalker and writing the renamed files to two HDs; The files were generated by a Nikon D70 camera; When I check the Preserve Original name in Metadata, Bridge crashes; when I uncheck and run again it completes normally. I attended your recent seminar at Montclair State U.
Ray
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 12:06:27 PM »

Ray,
I would say to skip that step for the moment.  Bob Stucky has said he will have a new version soon.  I'll poke at him and see how that's going.
Peter
DMJMich

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 08:38:24 PM »

Hi Peter,

Like CDRNorth, I found the DAM Book outstanding in every way. My DAM workflow is now established and works well: Bridge, IFC, iView Media Pro. Whole nine yards.

I've also had the same experiences with IFC CDRNorth reported: crashing when Preserve Filename... is checked and quirky metadata writing, e.g. missing 11 out of 58 metadata updates in a batch. The latter in no clear pattern, not the first or last, sometimes adjacent. For example, metadata wasn't written for 227.nef or 228.jpg but it was written for 227.jpg and 228.nef.

Appreciate you're comments, Peter. Just wanted to add another user report of similar experience. My only difference is that I'm working on NEF and JPEG files created by a Nikon D200. Looking forward to next version of IFC. Will adjust my own workflow until then to avoid issues.

Doug

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: