The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 08:31:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Any recommendations for DVD burning software for use under Win XP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any recommendations for DVD burning software for use under Win XP?  (Read 3124 times)
David Anderson

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2006, 03:03:39 PM »

Having now more or less completed reorganising about 5000 legacy images according to the principles laid out in The DAM Book, I now need to decide how to create DVD-R backups on my new Windows XP Pro workstation. Until recently, I was still using Windows 2000 but the Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 software I have is not compatible with XP.

Roxio now sells a wide range of DVD-related software (including Easy CD Creator 8 Suite), whose descriptions all emphasise clever things they do with MP3 music collections (irrelevant to a classical music lover who still buys ordinary CDs and hasn't joined the iPod generation!). I'd rather not pay for a bunch of features that clutter up the user interface and won't get used, though I'd live with that if I have to.

Any recommendations for a simple basic software package to burn DVDs? I'm wanting something solid, reliable and fast. Price is a secondary consideration.

David
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:39:00 PM by David Anderson » Logged
Mark Mendelsohn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 08:24:41 PM »

See what you think of nero.  They are at www.nero.com.

Mark
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:18:15 AM »

Another recommendation for Nero.
wombat2010

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:17 AM »

At the risk of piling on . . . I use Nero, too, and have no complaints.  Although it does a lot of "fancy" things that are not relevant to backing up photos, it does the basics well and is pretty easy to use.

Stephen
AndrewC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 08:33:37 PM »

Over the years I've paid a small fortune to Nero and Roxio to keep up to date with their software. And whenever I've had a problem I found out their tech support was useless, and I had to resort to user forums to get any help. So when the last round of expensive upgrades came around, I said "forget about it"! I found out that there are several excellent and FREE programs out there that work very well for backup purposes. My favorite is CDBurnerXP Pro:

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

It has the basics for setting up a data CD/DVD and it does verification. That is all I need. There are more features in the pay version but I don't need them.

Andrew
mwhals

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:16:32 PM »

Another vote for Nero.

Mark H
David Anderson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 04:02:05 AM »

Shortly after raising my original post, I checked out both the Nero and Roxio websites. I found the apparent coexistence of both Nero version 6 and 7 a little confusing, and silly titles like Nero 6 Reloaded a little irritating. Such trivial matters were enough, along with my previous familiarity with Roxio's interface, to make me go for Roxio Easy Media Creator 8. It was more of a toss of a coin than a scientific comparison.

Since then, I've noted the 100% vote here for Nero and wondered if I was not perhaps a bit hasty. So far, however, Roxio has done the job without any problem.

David
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: