The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 04:55:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Backup strategies - a primer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Backup strategies - a primer  (Read 7362 times)
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 08:22:21 AM »

Jeremy,

Keep in mind that mirroring and cloning/imaging are not the same thing.  Mirroring merely keeps your data in sync between the primary and secondary; whereas, cloning/imaging does not do syncing, but rather images an entire partition or disk including the boot sectors, volume headers, etc.  That's why mirroring is found in backup utility software such as Genie-Soft Backup Manager and imaging is done with software such as Symantec's Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, or the one you're using.  They are two different applications with two different objectives.  Use mirroring for your media and imaging/cloning for your O/S or boot disk.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
jeremyrh

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 08:30:48 AM »

Jeremy,

Keep in mind that mirroring and cloning/imaging are not the same thing.  [...] They are two different applications with two different objectives.  Use mirroring for your media and imaging/cloning for your O/S or boot disk.

Dan

Yes, you're right - though in my case it amounts to the same thing as I keep my media on my boot disk Grin I was just drawing the distinction between mirror/clone software and archive software like Retrospect.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: