The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 02:32:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Bridge/ Camera Raw
| | |-+  D200 Camera Raw Preset Recommendations?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: D200 Camera Raw Preset Recommendations?  (Read 5848 times)
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2006, 02:43:51 PM »

I was just reading Peter's book, and got to the part about applying a Camera Raw preset specific to your camera...  Does anyone have a settings starting point recommendation for my D200?

Cheers, josh

Josh McCulloch
Josh McCulloch Photography
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 03:23:56 PM »

Josh,
I change the stock preset in this way.  I turn Auto off in Exposure, turn auto off in Brightness and set to 75, and turn Auto contrast off.  I also set Sharpness to 75, but I'm still experimenting with this.
Peter
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 03:28:50 PM »

Great!  Thanks for that...  Also, I was wondering if there is a way to get the finder to show the size of a folder of images without having to go to "Get Info"  I seem to remember something called Foldersize in your book (I can't find that page now) but when I googe it, I can only find it for PC.

Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:29:22 PM »

View>Show View Options>Calculate all Sizes.
Peter
AlanDunne

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:46:30 AM »

I was just reading Peter's book, and got to the part about applying a Camera Raw preset specific to your camera...  Does anyone have a settings starting point recommendation for my D200?

Cheers, josh

Josh, for my D200 my ACR defaults turn all the "auto" features off. I use Shadow 5, Brightness 50, Contrast 25, Saturation 5. Sharpening is set to 75, but like Peter I am still evaluating this one. It seems pretty good for proofing purposes at least. I also use a custom curve that add some further punch to the shadows, and likely mimics Peter's setting of 75 for Brightness. Note that I have an "equivalent" curve loaded as the custom curve in the camera so that the image and histograms in camera are reasonable representative of what is first seen when the image opens in ACR.

I also have calibration settings that were determined via the Tom Fors ACR calibration script.

Cheers ... Al
ChristelleJvR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 12:35:56 AM »

Josh,

I have created a set of D200 defaults for portraits.  I turn Exposure off, Shadow 2, Brightness 50, Contrast 25, Saturation 0 and Sharpening to 25. I use the Medium Contrast curve. I'm still experimenting a bit, but this seems to work for my current setup.

I haven't had time to find proper settings for my nature photography (will try the settings used by Peter and Al).

I would really have loved the ability to sharpen my preview and embedded jpg but have the option to not sharpen the converted psd.  That would give me sharpened proofs, but allow me to do all sharpening in Photoshop (without first switching it off in ACR) on files that will be processed further.

Christelle Jansen van Rensburg

Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 06:52:34 PM »

Does any of the in-camera settings have any effect on the image if processing in ACR? 

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:06:38 PM »

Mike,
White balance only.  I'd like to see more, but at this point, WB is it.
Peter
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »

Thanks Peter.  I thought it might be.  I'm really amazed in that case how well ACR has been working on my D200 images.  Much better than my D1x. 

joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 12:18:07 AM »

What about custom settings like Color Mode, I, II, and III?  Tone and Contrast, Sharpening?  Can these all be undone with Camera RAW?  I have some stuff I shot with Color mode III and saturation set to high, and I'm having trouble getting them to look normal...  How can I fix this?

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 02:44:59 PM »

Josh,
Noise reduction is another one that affects the actual RAW data.  I'd be surprised if Saturation did as well, but I have not tested.
Anybody know this or care to test?
Peter
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 06:41:42 AM »

Hi,

Apart from ISO and compression I believe everything else can be adjusted in Nikon Capture (NC). So in-camera settings should have no affect on ACR.

To get close to Nikon-like colours try reducing saturation. Colour fringing is automatically removed in NC but ACR can match it albeit manually. Noise is more efficiently removed in NC, but I prefer to do this in Photoshop. I also see more detail in NC than ACR but for editorial work this doesn't bother me - 10MP is overkill anyway. For colour temp 5500K in NC is about 4800K in ACR for my images. NC4.4 is now as good as ACR for highlight recovery, and Capture NX surpasses them both.

-- Robert.

dheaton

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 04:36:47 PM »

Josh,
I change the stock preset in this way.  I turn Auto off in Exposure, turn auto off in Brightness and set to 75, and turn Auto contrast off.  I also set Sharpness to 75, but I'm still experimenting with this.
Peter

Would someone be willing to tell me how to make these changes in ACR?  I guess I am not understanding it fully.  I also shoot with a d200.
Isn't it best to have no sharpening on the raw and sharpen the image after any work is done in Photoshop?

What about camera defaults?  Any ideas on these settings?

Thanks for your help

David
www.heatonphoto.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: